Level 4 Diploma in Computing (with Business Management) (L4DC BM)
The Level 4 Diploma in Computing (with Business Management) is the first year of the NCC Education degree journey. The qualification is equivalent to the first year of a Business IT degree qualification in the UK university system.
This course is designed to develop essential thinking and study skills in IT and Business through a balance of academic and vocational subjects. Students can contribute to the development of computer systems and networks, databases and websites in a business context, whilst also developing an awareness of business needs.
The programme will allow students to enter the IT and Business professions with the necessary knowledge expected within the industry and will be able to apply these skills to a range of IT-related functions.
Students must study the following eight core units:
- Skills for Computing – This module provides essential skills required by computing students. The skills taught include study, presentation, report-writing and data handling skills. It will prepare students for successful outcomes in their studies and provide them with skills that can be applied in the workplace.
- Computer Systems – This module addresses the development of practical skills in the configuration, maintenance, fault finding and trouble-shooting of modern computer systems and develops knowledge of computer architecture.
- Essentials of Management – covers the principles and functions of management. Students will be taught the key elements in planning and decision-making, and the significance of different controls required in an organisation.
- eBusiness – explores a wide range of applications for eCommerce and the use of these in solving business problems. Students will learn about state-of-the-art technologies and their major impact on the business world.
- Computer Networks – This module helps students to develop a good understanding of basic theory and useful practical skills of networking and communication that are vital in today’s connected world.
- Databases – This module provides students with thorough training in practical techniques for the design and development of database systems and develops a sound understanding of the underpinning theory.
- Designing and Developing a Website – This module provides students with the practical skills required in website design such as understanding of mark-up languages, style sheets, design techniques and testing.
- Understanding Business Organisations – introduces the objectives, roles, functions and various forms of business organisations as they adapt to a dynamic and changing environment.
For entry onto the L4DC BM course, students must have at least one of the following:
- NCC Education Level 3 International Foundation Diploma for Higher Education Studies (L3IFDHES)
- NCC Education Level 3 Diploma in Computing (L3DC)
- NCC Education Level 3 Diploma in Business (L3DB)
- An international qualification which is deemed to be of a similar level to the NCC Education L3IFDHES. This shall be agreed with NCC Education in advance
- One GCE ‘A’ Level or equivalent, or an appropriate School Leavers’ certificate deemed to be of a similar level
If a potential student’s first language is not English, they must also reach the English Language requirements of either:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum score of 5.5. Alternatively, take the free NCC Education Higher English Placement Test, which is administered by our Accredited Partner Centres.
- GCE ‘O’ Level English C6.
Mature applicants will be considered for entry if they are able to demonstrate over 2 years of relevant work experience; AND Have GCE ‘O’ Level / IGCSE English and Maths or equivalent.
The qualification allows students entry to either the NCC Education Level 5 Diploma in Computing (with Business Management) (L5DC BM) (which is equivalent to year 2 of a typical UK honours degree) or the second year of many UK university degree courses, or enables them to pursue a career in the business industry.
NCC Education is regulated to award the Level 4 Diploma in Business (L4DB) by Ofqual (Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation) in England. Ofqual qualification reference number 600/1325/4.
L4DC-Qualification Specification (With Specialisms).pdf
NCCEDU_L4DC-Programme Sheet 2021.pdf